Newbury Animal Hospital is seeking candidates to work in our busy 4 doctor practice. Candidates must be eager and willing to work full-time including rotating Saturdays. We are open six days per week and provide the community with quality preventive care as well as exceptional customer service.
The veterinary technician is the veterinarian’s primary medical support. They begin the examination procedure and continue to assist the doctor throughout the examination, diagnosis and treatment phases. They aid the veterinarians in achieving greater efficiency by relieving them of technical work and administrative detail. They have a very significant role in communicating with and education clients about their pets.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE REQUIREMENTS
· Can provide compassionate care to patients and clients.
· Can conduct oneself in a confident and professional manner even when stressed and/or focused on individual tasks.
· Can legibly keep accurate medical records in accordance hospital policy.
· Can prepare and maintain the exam rooms and treatment areas.
· Can perform physical assessments; record observations legibly in files or computer.
· Can effectively restrain pets even when large or difficult.
· Understands all common vaccinations and vaccination protocols and can explain to clients.
· Understands the importance of a clean and orderly facility, does not hesitate to clean or organize as part of a normal job duty.
· Maintains positive, cooperative relationships with other employees.
· Gives SQ, IM and IV injections.
· Can handle client’s medical questions with confidence and direct to veterinarians when appropriate.
· Can prepare estimates for procedures and discuss financial commitments with clients supporting hospital financial policies.
· Can explain necessary followup and homecare instructions.
· Understands usage, dosage, and common side-effects for commonly used prescription drugs and can readily explain them to the clients.
· Can maintain an appropriate inventory of all medical supplies as determined by the inventory control system.
· Can assist the veterinarian in medical, surgical and dental procedures; prepares patients for surgery; administers anesthesia; monitors patients during surgery and recovery; administers fluids.
· Can properly care for all surgical materials; keep the operating room properly stocked and prepared for surgery.
· Can perform emergency procedures such as control of bleeding, resuscitation with oxygen, opening airways, and external cardiac massage.
· Can perform clinical laboratory procedures such as fecal flotation exams, heartworm checks, skin scrapings, urinalysis, and fungal cultures; draws blood for laboratory analysis; maintains file of lab test results and ensures that test results are recorded in patient records.
· Can effectively position for and take radiographs.
· Can perform electrocardiograms.
· Can place IV catheters and properly care for them. Understands the use and care of IV pumps as well.
· Knows common disease states and can alert veterinarians when symptoms change or when concerns arise with hospitalized patients.
· Can prepare a patient and the machine for an ultrasound procedure.
· Can admit patients following hospital policy and doctors written orders.
· Can discharge patients based on the veterinarian’s orders, ensuring that patients are well groomed and in a medically appropriate state.
Competitive salary and benefits including vacation time, holiday pay, veterinary discounts for employee pets, health insurance, 401k and more!
Interested candidates should forward a resume and cover letter to:
Suzanne Guilbault, Practice Manager
Newbury Animal Hospital
96 Hanover Street
Newbury, MA 01951
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org